Lady, Play Your Mandolin!Lady, Play Your Mandolin! (1931) - Merrie Melodies Theatrical Cartoon Series by Dave Koch
This page has been viewed 3148 times this month, and 10707 times total.
- A Hugh Harman-Rudolf Ising Production, Vitaphone Pictures
- Animated Characters: Foxy, Roxy, Waiter, Horse, Customer, Mouse, Hippo.
- Originally Released in Sep, 1931 (Estimate).
- Production Number: 4645
- Running Time: 7:06 minutes.
- Black & White
Cartoon Production Information:
Bob Clampett's first known animation work (he was uncredited).
This cartoon was released two years before Prohibition was repealed. Its public showing was more than likely banned because the entire cartoon revolves around drinking.
"Lady, Play Your Mandolin!" was revived in 1985 on PBS on Season 5, Episode 1 of its "Matinee At The Bijou" series. This goes against Cartoon Network's "Toon Heads" claim of its being the first outlet to show it since the 1930s.
- "A Gay Caballero," Written by Frank Crumit and Lou Klein, Sung by Foxy;
- "Lady, Play Your Mandolin," Music by Oscar Levant, Lyrics by Irving Caesar, Sung by Various Characters;
- "Cielito Lindo," Traditional.
Only a few minutes of this cartoon are seen in the Looney Tunes Golden Collection volume 1 documentary. However, it is complete in the DVD Attack of the 30's characters, from Thunderbean.
Submit Additional Information:
Do you have anything to add to this page? Have we made any mistakes... or do you have any additional information about Lady, Play Your Mandolin!? If so, we would love to hear from you. Please send us a quick note with your additions or corrections to this page, and we will make the corrections as soon as possible!Report Errors / Submit Additional Information