The Lord Of The RingsThe Lord Of The Rings (1978) Feature Length Theatrical Animated Film
This page has been viewed 545 times this month, and 4885 times total.
- Fantasy Films, Saul Zaentz Production Company.
- Animated Characters: Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf, Sam, Aragorn, Meriadoc, Pippin, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, Gollum, Saruman, King Theoden, Wormtongue, Elrond, Innkeeper, Galadriel, Treebeard.
- Awards: Saturn Award, Best Fantasy Film (Nominated, 1979).
Golden Gryphon (Won, 1980).
Golden Globe Best Original Score- Motion Picture (Nominated, 1979).
- Originally Released in 1978.
- Running Time: 131 minutes.
Cartoon Production Information:
Ralph Bakshi's animated adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic fantasy was a commercial and critical failure when it was released. The primary complaint was that the film didn't have a conclusion, abruptly ending about halfway into the second book of the series ("The Two Towers"); in addition, many characters and events were dropped or only touched upon briefly, which angered many Tolkien fans, and the enormous complexity of the story was confusing to those unfamiliar with the books. Needless to say, the film's box office failure prevented Bakshi from completing his adaptation, and it would take more than 20 years for Tolkien to reach the screen again, with much greater success.
Submit Additional Information:
Do you have anything to add to this page? Have we made any mistakes... or do you have any additional information about The Lord Of The Rings? If so, we would love to hear from you. Please send us a quick note with your additions or corrections to this page, and we will make the corrections as soon as possible!Report Errors / Submit Additional Information