The HobbitThe Hobbit (1977) Animated Cartoon Special by Dave Koch
This page has been viewed 125 times this month, and 7620 times total.
- Animated TV SpecialCartoonTelevisionSpecialCartoon
- Traditional Animation
- Rankin-Bass Productions, Topcraft
- Cartoon Characters: Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf the Grey, Elvenking, Elrond, Smaug, Thorin Oakenshield, Gollum, Bombur, Balin, Lord of the Eagles, Dori, Great Goblin, Bard, Bert (Troll), Gloin, Oin, Ori, Nori, Dwalin, Kili, Fili, Bofur, Bifur, Elf, Spider, Goblin Driver, Eagles, Goblins.
- Voice Actors: Orson Bean, John Huston, Otto Preminger, Cyril Ritchard, Richard Boone, Hans Conried, Brother Theodore, Paul Frees, John Stephenson; Full Voice Cast ...
- Directed By Arthur Rankin Jr., Jules Bass.
- Produced By Arthur Rankin Jr, Jules Bass, Masaki Iizuka.
- Animated By Yukiyoshi Hake, Kuzuko Itoh, Hidetoshi Kakeko, Kazuyuki Kobayashi, Hidemi Kubo, Tadakatsu Yoshida, Tsuguyuki Kubo, Koichi Sasaki, Katsuhisa Yamada, Toro Hara.
- Written By Romeo Muller, J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Awards: Winner, Peabody Award, 1977, Winner, Christopher Award, 1977.
- Music: Maury Laws, Jules Bass.
- Originally Released on November 27, 1977.
- Originally Aired on NBC-TV (USA).
- Running Time: 77 minutes.
Bilbo Baggins the Hobbit was just minding his own business, when his occasional visitor Gandalf the Wizard drops in one night. One by one, a whole group of dwarves drop in, and before he knows it, Bilbo has joined their quest to reclaim their kingdom, taken from... (more)
Cartoon Production Information:
Nearly 200 artists produced 110,000 animated cels for this feature, the first film dramatization of any of J.R.R. Tolkien's works. Producer-directors Arthur Rankin, Jr. and Jules Bass rejected a half-dozen scripts before selecting the final one.... (more)
Sorry, we do not have a video of The Hobbit. If you have one, or know of one on Youtube, Vimeo or any other site, Let Us Know
Submit Additional Information:
Do you have anything to add to this page? Have we made any mistakes... or do you have any additional information about The Hobbit? If so, we would love to hear from you. Please send us a quick note with your additions or corrections to this page, and we will make the corrections as soon as possible!