Detouring AmericaDetouring America (1939) - Merrie Melodies Theatrical Cartoon Series
This page has been viewed 25 times this month, and 2006 times total.
- Merrie Melodies Theatrical Cartoon SeriesTheatricalSeriesCartoon
- Traditional Animation
- A Vitaphone Production
- Distributed by: Warner Bros.
- Cartoon Characters: Narrator, Mr. Butter Finger-The Human Fly, Unsuspecting Scientist, California Prospector, Sioux Indians, Texas Cow-Puncher, Hitchhiker, Eskimo.
- Directed By Tex Avery.
- Produced By Leon Schlesinger.
- Animated By Rollin Hamilton.
- Written By Jack Miller.
- Awards: Academy Award Nominee, Best Short Subject (Cartoon), 1940.
- Music: Carl W. Stalling.
- Originally Released on August 26, 1939.
- Originally Released Theatrically.
- Production Number: 8927.
A tour of the United States, with recurring checks on the progress of the human fly climbing the Empire State Building. Also featured are jokes and gags on the Everglades, the Wyoming prairies, Alaska, a California prospector, Sioux Indians and a... (more)
Cartoon Production Information:
Jerry Colonna is caricatured.
A "Carry Me Back To Ol' Virginny" hitchhiker sequence is frequently cut for television showings due to its racial content.
Additional Cartoon Pictures:
Watch Cartoon Video:
You can watch this cartoon today on your computer. Just click below to start viewing "Detouring America" online now.
Submit Additional Information:
Do you have anything to add to this page? Have we made any mistakes... or do you have any additional information about Detouring America? If so, we would love to hear from you. Please send us a quick note with your additions or corrections to this page, and we will make the corrections as soon as possible!