Toy Story 2Toy Story 2 (1999) Feature Length Theatrical Animated Film
This page has been viewed 137 times this month, and 5490 times total.
- Pixar Animation Studios, Walt Disney Studios
- Animated Characters: Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Jessie, the Yodeling Cowgirl, Stinky Pete the Prospector, Mr. Potato Head, Slinky Dog, Rex the Dinosaur, Hamm the Piggy Bank, Bo Peep, Al the Toy Collector, Andy, Andy's Mom, Mrs. Potato Head, Tour Guide Barbie, Barbie on Backpack, Wheezy the Penguin, Evil Emperor Zurg, Army Sarge, Geri the Cleaner, Green Aliens, Flik the Ant, Baggage Handler.
- Awards: Golden Globe Award Winner, Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy), 2000.
Golden Globe Award Nominee, Best Original Song, "When She Loved Me" by Randy Newman, 2000.
- Originally Released in 1999.
- Running Time: 92 minutes.
- Nov 12, 1999- CalArts Premiere
- Nov 13, 1999- Limited Release at El Capitan Theatre, Los Angeles
- Nov 24, 1999- General Theatrical Release
- Oct 17, 2000- DVD Release
- Dec 26, 2005- Two Disk SE DVD
- Oct 2, 2009- 3D Theatrical Re-release
- Jan 22, 2010- 3D Theatrical Re-release, United Kingdom
- Feb 18, 2010- 3D Theatrical Re-release, Argentina
- Mar 23, 2010- Blu-Ray
Cartoon Production Information:
Soundtrack: "When She Loved Me," Written by Randy Newman, Performed by Sarah McLachlan; "You've Got A Friend In Me," Written by Randy Newman, Performed by Tom Hanks; "You've Got A Friend In Me" (Wheezy's Version), Written by Randy Newman, Performed by Robert Goulet; "You've Got A Friend In Me" (Instrumental Version), Written by Randy Newman, Performed by Tom Scott; "Woody's Roundup," Written by Randy Newman, Performed by Riders in the Sky; "Also Sprach Zarathrustra," Written by Richard Strauss.
This sequel succeeds at so many levels, it comes off as the anti-Pokémon. Even if the movie's sound were turned off, the detail in its computer animation would be reason enough to see it. The attention to everything from the fluid movement of the toys to the smudges on the face of an old play doll marks a quantum leap from even the first movie.
Then there's the script which, as in all of the best sequels, is so finely tuned that you can enjoy the story even if you haven't seen the first movie. The main plotline is that the cowboy doll Woody (again voiced by Tom Hanks) is kidnapped by an evil toy dealer ("Seinfeld's" Wayne Knight) who wants to cash in on the toy's nostalgia value.
While Woody's toy friends go to elaborate lengths to rescue him, Woody is astounded to discover that he was the star of a kids' TV show called "Woody's Roundup," which also featured a cowgirl named Jessie (Joan Cusack) and a prospector named Stinky Pete ("Frasier's" Kelsey Grammer)- all of whom are now treasured mostly for being in mint condition.
Most movies would be satisfied to be as believable and touching as Toy Story 2, which also manages to score some of the year's biggest laughs. The first movie's toy characters are back, and some welcome new additions are a doting Mrs. Potato Head (Estelle Harris, another "Seinfeld" vet), and Barbie, who is as irrelevantly cheery as you always thought she'd be.
The "performances" here put a lot of the year's flesh-and-blood movie work to shame. Of the returnees, the best is Tim Allen as space hero Buzz Lightyear, stripped of all his pomposity and quite happy to serve as a child's toy. (Some of the best laughs come when Buzz unwittingly unwraps another Buzz toy who is as clueless as he used to be.)
And Joan Cusack, who is reason enough to watch any movie she's in, beautifully conveys Jessie's enthusiasm at being appreciated in whatever way she can, as a treasured toy or a valued museum piece.
That you can appreciate these computer-created images as heartfelt characters says volumes about how well Toy Story 2 has been thought out. It doesn't just make the first movie's then-current technology look dated; it makes most of this year's "human" comedies look just as irrelevant.
Submit Additional Information:
Do you have anything to add to this page? Have we made any mistakes... or do you ahve any additional information about Toy Story 2? If so, we would love to hear from you. Please send us a quick note with your additions or corrections to this page, and we will make the corrections as soon as possible!Report Errors / Submit Additional Information